- ELENA will pave the way for a European photonic integrated circuit (PIC) foundry service for lithium niobate (LNOI).
- ELENA’s LNOI PIC production facility shall be open to all interested stakeholders in the photonics industry and R&D at an affordable price.
- This will make the capabilities of efficient electro-optic (EO) and nonlinear PICs accessible to drive innovation in the European optics industry.
- Annual growth rates of over 25% are forecast for the PIC market in the coming years.
ELENA’S TOP-LEVEL GOALS
These top-level goals translate into five main objectives:
This is ELENA’s starting point:
- Develop and mature the design and performance of the main building blocks for the LNOI PIC platform with the target specifications as listed in the table.
- Develop a reliable and reproducible fabrication process of LNOI building blocks to achieve the targeted performance (see table) with a yield above 60%.
ELENA’s main building blocks are the following: Fast phase shifter, Mach-Zehnder (MZ) modulator, periodically poled lithium niobate (PPLN) waveguides, tunable cavities, variable optical couplers.